After another weekend off Sunday 27th October saw Kitsonians back to the league and back at Fortress Fen Ditton to take on fellow promoted team Studlands Park.

After an at best stuttering performance in their last outing, the kitsonians players must have suspected that changes to the starting line up were likely.

Having been to watch Studlands Park play Sports fc the previous sunday the management made two changes to the midfield and on to the defence which saw M. Caspel and M.Ball replace S. Dipple and A. Paget in midfield and T. Matthews come in at left centre back for A. Howlett.

The hope being that the extra energy in midfield and added pace at the back would enable Kitsonians to win more of the ball from a Studlands side that have been consistently tough opposition over a number of years.

From the first whistle and consistently  for the first 15 minutes, Kitsonians started fast and attacked Studlands hard down both flanks. Unfortunately the goal wasn’t forthcoming and after exposing Kitsonians on the counter attack a couple of times during this period, Studlands park scored their first goal on 20 minutes.

To say that this goal was game changing would be an understatement, knowing that they had been playing well in attack and still conceded seemed to knock the stuffing out of kitsonians who, with further goals from Studlands on 26 and 32 minutes were very fortunate to go in at half time only 3 nil down. Even the fact that keeper D. Hobday had been forced from the field through a recurrence of a hip injury with the score at 2 nil was no explanation, as his replacement E. Dudko has shown himself to be a more than proficient understudy, who in any other team at this level or above could reasonably expect to be a regular starter between the sticks.

An understated half time team talk from the management along with changes throughout the second half with all of the remaining substitutes entering the fray  (S. Dipple, A. Howlett, J. Tofts, and P. Higginson) had relatively little effect, with further goals from Studlands on 54, 79, 81 all coming before a good attack saw a late penalty  won and converted by P. Higginson on 87.

The game finished 6 v 1 to Studlands park and left everyone involved on the Kitsonians side in no doubt that the better team won.

The only really constructive thing to come from this match was a mature and constructive discussion of the performance after the match. Rather than ranting and recrimination from either the management or the players there was instead a pleasingly frank and open assessment of the performance both of the team and of individuals.  This discussion at least felt like a real step forward and at odds with the performance.

Team: GK-Dan Hobday, RCB-Steven Dunkley, CB-Dan Shinn, LCB-Tom Matthews, RM-Majeed Sadeqpur, CM-Matt Caspel ACM-Andrew Dobie, CM-Mike Ball, LM-Nick Hawkins, FW-James Dobie FW-Carl Thurlbourne. SUBS. 1, Sam. Dipple, Alex Howlett, Jonny Tofts, Peter Higginson, Evardas Dudko.